With spring in the air it feels like the perfect time for picnics in the sun. This beetroot & goats cheese tart from Delicious magazine is perfect for a lazy sunday picnic with friends and is seriously delicious. I love it, i’m pretty sure you will too.
Make it, i promise you will want to eat the whole thing as soon as you see the bright crimson beetroot peaking out between blobs of goats cheese and smell the thyme wafting from the baked pastry crust…
Beetroot, Thyme, & Goats Cheese Tart
By September 19, 2012Published:
- Yield: makes 1 tart (6 Servings)
With spring in the air it feels like the perfect time for picnics in the sun. This beetroot & goats cheese tart from Delicious …
- 1 Bunch Beetroot Trimmed
- 30 Grams Unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Red onions Thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon Caster sugar
- 150 Grams Soft goat's cheese
- 2 Eggs Lightly beaten
- 150 Ml Thickened cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh nutmeg Grated
- 250 Grams Sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Bottled horseradish
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 200 Grams Plain flour
- 100 Grams Chilled unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon Thyme leaves
- Place beetroot in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, topping with water if necessary, until tender.
- Drain. Refresh under cold water and leave to cool. Peel and coarsely grate. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the pastry, place flour, butter (100 grams), thyme (1 teaspoon), and a pinch of salt in a food processor and whiz until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 1/4 cup (60ml) chilled water, then process until the mixture comes together in a ball. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 30cm loose-bottomed tart pan. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 5mm thick, then use to line the tart pan. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights, then bake for 5 minutes or until dry and pale golden.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onions and 1 tsp salt, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until softened.
- Add beetroot, vinegar, thyme and sugar, then cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened and syrupy. Spread beetroot mixture over the tart base, then crumble over cheese.
- Whisk egg, cream and nutmeg together, then pour into tart case. Scatter with extra thyme. Bake for 35 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, combine creme fraiche, horseradish, Dijon, and lemon juice, then season. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Cut tart into slices and serve warm or cold with the horseradish cream.