I find that banana bread recipes are too ‘cakey’, so after lots of tweaking i found the right balance for a ‘cafe style’ banana bread that is dense, moist & tasty, and that most importantly stays together when you slice it.
It’s best sliced thick and can be toasted or just fresh (or even better…fresh and warm out of the oven). I love it with this zesty orange ricotta drizzled with honey…a perfect weekend breakfast in the sun.
banana bread with zesty orange ricotta & honey Recipe
By September 20, 2012Published:
- Yield: makes 1 loaf
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
a 'cafe style' banana bread that is dense, moist & tasty
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinammon
- 1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 orange zested
- 1 tbs juice of orange
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
Grease 11cm x 25cm loaf tin & line base with baking paper.
- Sift flours, spices & bicarb into bowl, stir in sugar.
- Make well in centre & gradually stir in banana, golden syrup, eggs oil & milk
- Mix to combine. Pour in loaf tin. Bake for 45-50min, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- To make zesty orange ricotta, mix ricotta with orange zest, juice & vanilla bean paste.
- Serve toasted with orange zesty ricotta and a drizzle of honey.
- Course: Breakfast